Covering a bare brick patio doorway in prep for laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently decorating the lounge of the house we bought last year, and after doing the ceiling and walls we are onto laminating the floor, but looking for suggestions to tackle the patio doorway.

The previous owners had a patio door put in over a decade ago, but it seems they simply took the radiator off the wall (leaving the pipework above the floor), cut the brickwork down, installed the door, and covered the base bricks (cavity walls) with window board as a threshold.
That photo shows after I've removed the floorboards, capped the piped to below the floorboard and put in replacement boards.

My query is that I don't want that threshold board there. Underneath that board is bare brick work
which is approximately 15mm above the floorboards. The house is cavity walls and that's the inner wall, though its slightly uneven (built 1939). Now I suppose one option would be to remove a layer of bricks and build it up to floor level. However I'm doing everything DIY and speaking with the missus we are happy with a matching threshold step. I will be laminating the room floor (laminate boards are 12 mm thick), so will make a threshold step. However its what to do with the brickwork to make it flat so I can attach the laminate to it.
There are many gaps so pouring a levelling compound with just fill the void, but the brickwork is slightly uneven and want to stop drafts from this point. So could anyone please suggest how best to cover/seal in the brickwork and holes in preparation for making a low step/threshold for the doorway.

Tanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back