Covering over oil based gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm decorating a house that has a very thick (but sound) layer of what I think is oil based gloss on the plaster around the window (why do people do these things?)

I want to paint the room in matt emulsion but am worried about lack of adhesion or bubbling. I have rubbed it down to a matt finish (it was gloss) but should I use a primer and if so what?

Sponsored Links
I'm decorating a house that has a very thick (but sound) layer of what I think is oil based gloss on the plaster around the window (why do people do these things?)

I want to paint the room in matt emulsion but am worried about lack of adhesion or bubbling. I have rubbed it down to a matt finish (it was gloss) but should I use a primer and if so what?

I would use a sealant like Zinssser Gardz or even Bullseye over the sanded-down gloss. It goes without saying that you'll use a trade quality paint, but that in itself may not be enough to ensure adhesion.

Days gone by this was common practice. You wall papered the room in a none vinyl paper and then did the window reveals in gloss paint which survives damp and condensation better. I bet it was a lead based paint as well.

It is probably easier just to strip the paint off all together. I had a whole kitchen to do last year and found the "Peelaway" system worked well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back