coving and skirting after plaster work

S

sentinal73

Hi all,

In the process of getting 2 rooms replastered.

One is just being skimmed and the other boarded and skimmed

I know i should wait 2 weeks before i can paint the walls, but how long should i wait before i put new skirtings and new coving on?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
2 weeks is more than enough for the skim to dry out & you should be able to paint after, say, 3 days for the skim & 5 days for the board & skim as long as it’s dried out! The coving can go up as soon as the plaster looks dry (pink instead of brown) as long as the walls are dry enough to suck out the moisture from the adhesive to allow it to stick.

I always fit skirting boards last after I’ve primed & top coated both the skirting & the walls. Leave an unpainted gap at the bottom of the wall, just slightly lower than where the top of the skirting will come & stick the skirting on with a trade quality grab adhesive. If the plasterers done a good job & left you with nice flat walls, all you’ll need is a thin bead of decorators caulk around the top of the skirting to finish off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back