crabtree D type MCB welder supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive got a welder supply to put in, i need a 32amp 3ph D type mcb for the old crabtree M4-5 BS 3871 type industrial board, like the mcb on ebay here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-off-CRABTRE...14&_trkparms=72:1298|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Ive looked and denmans, citys, wilts cant seem to get one, or atleast some dont know what im on about....

What other ways around it is there? ive thought a seperate 3-4way CU with a TP 32ampD mcb from any make and mount it next 2 the main board, so atleast i get to buy any mcb manufacturer for it, the only prob i see is that the 6mm singles ill use from the new mcb enclosure to the crab board is how to install the wires into the crab? do i put crimp rings onto the wires and screw them into the M4 thread on the bars? but then that would have no protection, theres no mcb's in the board above 30amp and couldnt use the output of one..

Any help would be apreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the Crabtree board is sitting on a busbar chamber? You can bolt a new CU directly onto this, (why use 6mm?). If you need to lower the fusing because of the cable/CU rating, you can use a TP switch fuse. And do you definitely need a D type?

Hi, it has to be a D type as its a high end welder, i need the breaking time, ive measured the earthing side and below the OSG so all good...

I using 6mm as its requied by the manufacturer to be the minimum and as the distance from CU to welder is only 10 meters and also requiring 32amp it should be all good...

The old school green industrial TP board has not bars(my mistake in wording) but 3 vertical bars running in the centre, with offsets to each pole position with a m4 thread on, if you look at the supply side of the breaker on the link you'll see the way or if you have experience in that breaker you can see.

Basically i cant source the D type i need for this board, so i can get a enclosure and a single D type any manufacturer break and mount it next to the original board... but my problem is how to connect the wires from the new breaker into the crabtree board, as although being 20cm of cable, those wires arnt protected by anything apart from the 125amp iso switch, although it obiously can still be done the 20cm of cable is the weakest part of the circuit, i dont know if its acceptable or not...

Unfortunatly I think crabtree C50 breakers (C50 being the range, not the type/rating) are only available in C curve.

Can only suggest a C60 device to power a new small board next to it?

Or try it on a C30 and see if it holds in!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back