Crack in Extension Joint

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi guys,
I'm currently doing up a house owned by a family member. In the sitting room there has been a crack down the wall for a long time where an extension was put on 20 years or so ago. This has kind of been ignored for a long time partly because it has been mostly hidden behind wallpaper. I removed the wallpaper to paint the wall and found the crack looked worse then I expected.
There were a few spots of the crack that had loosened the plaster and it was only hung on by scrim tape. I removed one of these sections and realised the crack goes all the way through the wall and you can see daylight through it in some parts.
I wasn't planning on doing any major work on the house at the moment because I am looking to get a mortgage to purchase it first. Does anyone know if it's alright to just fill the crack with cement or expanding foam for the mean time and have it sorted properly later or what do people suggest? The house was built in the 1950's and this is a solid outside wall at the side of the house.

Thanks,
Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_20220227_140253.jpg
    IMG_20220227_140253.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20220227_140302.jpg
    IMG_20220227_140302.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220227_140309.jpg
    IMG_20220227_140309.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
if it is not dynamic, ie still not moving then consider brushing in some PVA. Let that dry and then gun in some Toupret Fibacyl. It is a caulk with fibres in it. It will shrink back so give it a couple of days before filling over it with a filler of your choice.

If it is dynamic, then consider "stitching" the wall with helifix bars. Ask for more advice before going down that path though.

Thanks thats a great help. It doesn't seem to be dynamic so Toupret Fibacyl it is.
Thanks a lot!

Kool. But it looks quite deep, so maybe wait a couple of days before filling over the fibracyl though. And please use PVA to reduce the level of suction first. Ideally, you don't want the moisture in the fibracyl to suck in to the paster.

Sponsored Links
PVA is a very cheap product, A tube of Fibracryl is about £7

Thats perfect, I'll do exactly as you say. I'm having trouble finding Fibracryl in Ireland or a place in the UK that still ships to Ireland. Is there any other products/brands that might be similar? Lots of places have Toupret Touprelith F Exterior Masonry filler but I assume that wouldn't be as good because its not as flexible?

Slightly different way.

Buy a bag of render and just add water.
Seal with Pva. Give it an hour or more and fill with render mix.
Toupret powder fill over and sand and paint.

Proper way is to fill with epoxy masonry repair. It's a powder and liquid. Then expanding metal over to bridge then plaster over.

Go for option one as cheap and easy. Render mix can be bought anywhere

Thanks Wayners. Finally found the Fibracryl so I'm going to go with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back