crack repair in willow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - got a cricket bat, made of willow as most bats are..anyway there is a crack about a couple of inches long right at the back of the toe end of the bat, its just on the surface and doesnt go down the side where the edges are..what is the best glue that i could use to repair this ?...i will also tape it up with reinforced cricket bat tape...someone did suggest pva glue....but dont really know which one or what type as there are so many..any help and advice as this bat is great and cost me nearly £250 when i bought it new...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
bat is awesome...just was concerned about the crack that appeeared at the back of the toe..dont remeber hitting it anywhere..will post a pic of it..later

wood dries from the outside in
"dry wood" will shrink by about 5% if in a hot place as dry wood is around 12%
wet wood will shrink around 10%
if you imagine the fibers in wood are like pencils the full strength is maintained if the pencils are taped together
if you introduce several swollen wet pencils to the center you will get gaps to the outer ring as the center has swollen the strength will be very similar to the whole bundle but with gaps on the outer circle
this is what happens on wood that dries out unevenly /the pressure from the swollen center causes cracks on the outer edge but no real strength lost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back