Cracked brickwork exposing ceiling joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being a bit nosey more than anything, but there's a single-storey workshop/studio space near ours where some of the brickwork has come away, exposing what looks like a ceiling joist (not enough space above for it to be a 2nd floor).

I'm trying to get in touch with the owner, but in the meantime I was wondering how urgent/dangerous this is? It looks like this is a single-skin building where the joist may have been recessed into the wall, which has weakened the bricks causing them to come away.

Would this be case of just repairing/replacing the brickwork, or is it more likely to require more structural work?

Hopefully the photo will give some idea as to what's going on...

Sponsored Links
My guesswork interpretation is that the joists run the opposite way (as is conventional, to tie the roof), and it's sagged. So someone's decided to knock a hole in the end wall and slide in a central joist to support across the ceiling joists. Then they've made a right mess of sealing up the hole, presumably with £3-worth of Screwfix's finest sticky goop.

Thanks for that - yes looking at the side of the property there are joists running the other way which emerge from the brickwork on each side. The roof is corrugated metal, rather than anything more substantial, but yes it would make more sense that the brickwork damage is from someone punching a hole and adding in a joist, rather than trying to somehow recess it into the bricks when constructing it!

Sponsored Links
I would say that when inserting a vent, second or third time lucky is the best strategy.
Haha I hadn't thought of that, but it's entirely plausible! Still not sure why they kept going once they got one right though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back