Cracking caulk as I paint

Thanks,

Have got some ronseal quick drying sealer. Will let you know if it works tomorrow.

Charles

Sponsored Links
This problem is often more about the paint than the caulk. Vinyl paints seem to crack more than paints with high acrylic resin contents (found in the more expensive paints), i should think supermatt is pretty much zero on this scale!

OB u/c normally works and the one you have is fine, apply it with the smallest brush you have and wipe off any excess, my preference is gardz as i've never had a problem with paint cracking if gardz is used to seal the caulk. I find it hard to believe that anyone who does a lot of painting has not had this problem at some point. You might be able to get the aerosol version of zinsser bin in B&Q but any sealer/stain block SHOULD work, you basically need a barrier between caulk and paint. Also worth mentioning that with new plaster you should apply the mist coat before caulking because the plaster will suck the moisture out the caulk
honestly have never had this problem, think I have just got lucky over the past 10 years

Sponsored Links
Could be the reason, never mind just seal as advised above unless you really want to cut it out I wouldn't bother though

I reckon you've been lucky pigeon as i used to get it a lot before i started sealing it, especially with dulux vinyl matt

I've had the "cracked" caulk appearance recently and noticed it in the caulk itself then replicated in the paint.

I've tried Soudal, Polyfilla and Unibond with the same result each time - I've tried applying a small bead and a large bead, wetting lots, hardly wetting at all etc etc but it's been the same each time.

It is less apparent on woodwork which I then have primer, undercoat and satin over the top than it is on the emulsioned plasterwork.

Strangely I have used Unibond and not had a problem with it. But did have a problem with the non-nonsense screwfix stuff.

Unless of course unibond have changed what they put in the stuff recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back