Cracks and damp on outside walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(moving this question from Painting& Decorating as this is probably a better place to ask it)

Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about any of these cracks on the external walls of my house? We got it painted a out 2 years ago and a lot of cracks have appeared since. I suspect they're just superficial but not sure why they've appeared. And the last picture shows an area where the paint didn't really cover up and is coming off.

Also there's on vertical crack about 4ft long. From the gray right up to the window. Very thin. Should I worry about that? Or just cover it up?
1000045322.jpg
1000045323.jpg
1000045325.jpg
1000045326.jpg
1000045324.jpg

Sponsored Links
No idea!. How would I tell? There's no signs of damp inside. The house is about 12 years old and has cavity walls

Maybe settlement cracks then as a modern build..
Fill and monitor for a few years then get that section repaired

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will do. What would it probably mean in terms of getting repaired? New damp proofing along that wall?

OP,
Why not post a pic showing the whole length of both elevations at low level?
You show a plinth in ground contact - the plinth or the render is also bridging the DPC.
However, given you have door steps, you appear to have a high FFL so the DPC might be higher than usual?
You can find the DPC by opening up a crack in the plinth.
Typically, the DPC bed is exposed, and the bridging render removed - a Bell Cast is then installed just above the DPC.

Cut away ground contact to give a render clear 150mm above ground level.
No "new damp proofing" is required.
The cracks could be opened up, and then sealed with polyurethane from a gun cartridge.

Does that help? The floor inside is about level with the top step. So assuming the DPC is about 15cm below that?
1000045397.jpg

OP,
From what I can see the plinth could do with removing because it's collecting water on the plinth ledge, and allowing capillary water to come up from the ground.
Pebbles can be seen - maybe some kind of drainage - eg. a French drain has been attempted previously to deal with the damp?

The pebbles are just decorative really. They've been there since the house was built. I think it's just concrete under them.

Do you mean remove the plinth entirely and permanently? And is the plinth ledge the top of the pledge? It's angled so shouldn't catch any water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back