Cracks and movement since upvc installation

I basically agree with Notch 7 and KenGmac's comments on this, but I am not convinced this brickwork is a satisfactory external wall anyway.
As others say, I think it needs a building surveyor/structural engineer/architect/technician/reputable local builder to inspect the construction of the bay on site and advise on appropriate remedial works.
The brickwork in the picture looks completely unsatisfactory to me. (but the window installer's would not have built that in the first place !)

Sponsored Links
So if that's the case with the brickwork should the installers have put the new window in?
Also installed hasn't mentioned anything with regard to the brickwork even so they have worked on It etc?

I'll look into a structural engineer and costs involved as this needs sorting sooner than later.

The bricks look to be tipping forward to me.

I’m going to guess that the bricks will end up being replaced for a timber frame, I can’t see how they could pull the bricks in.

The bricks look to be tipping forward to me.

I’m going to guess that the bricks will end up being replaced for a timber frame, I can’t see how they could pull the bricks in.

Exactly this. The Brickwork as a whole moved away from the actual window installed.
It's still at an angle and they were going to pull the brickwork back in and secure with wall brackets!

They've have come this morning and said they will need to replace the brickwork!

They can't however explain the lip that goes up in the ceiling! They've only ever seen them drop!

Sponsored Links
That’s good then, much better than them trying to bodge it.

I’d ask on here if you would be better with it built up from timber. That way it’s lighter and you could fill between the timbers with Celotex, then a further layer over the timbers before it’s plastered.

That’s good then, much better than them trying to bodge it.

I’d ask on here if you would be better with it built up from timber. That way it’s lighter and you could fill between the timbers with Celotex, then a further layer over the timbers before it’s plastered.

That's great info thank you.

We have to wait until spring time as the weather needs to be good for a few days to sort it.

At first they were just bodging it.....ive persevered and been at them so I'm hoping that's still the plan when they come to do it.

They have told me today they will put it all back right. (I've asked for this in writing also but so far all I get is phone calls or face to face and nothing in writing!)

This forum is fantastic. I was afraid to be laughed at to be honest but everyone's been so helpful.

I would agree with Ian H on timber frame .Remove the brickwork and replace with a loadbearing tantalised timber frame with some sort of impervious facing ( blue/black vertical slates would go well with the black window frames ) . Scope for plenty of thermal insulation between & inside the studs and the structure should then be structurally stable , weathertight and well insulated. If you did go with timber frame get the specification for the build up correct with breathable membrane, insulation, vapour barrier ,drips over window heads etc. Some form of sound insulating board on the inside would also help.
Regards
ps plenty of time before spring to get the construction details and specification right

I would agree with Ian H on timber frame .Remove the brickwork and replace with a loadbearing tantalised timber frame with some sort of impervious facing ( blue/black vertical slates would go well with the black window frames ) . Scope for plenty of thermal insulation between & inside the studs and the structure should then be structurally stable , weathertight and well insulated. If you did go with timber frame get the specification for the build up correct with breathable membrane, insulation, vapour barrier ,drips over window heads etc. Some form of sound insulating board on the inside would also help.
Regards
ps plenty of time before spring to get the construction details and specification right

Could be rendaboard externally, then painted same as now.

They've have come this morning and said they will need to replace the brickwork!

That is a very positive move by the installer.

Looked at, the installer should have undertaken a risk assessment during the strip out, at that stage installer should have noticed that the brickwork was shall we call it not in the best of conditions if it were to be tampered with?

Fair play to the Installer if he keeps to his word should sort out your dilemma, combined with the information tendered above you will hopefully be in a good place come the Spring?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back