Cracks in rendering above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am about to purchase a 1930s bay fronted semi, offer has been accepted just waiting for mortgage approval.
I went to look again at the house today and noticed a vertical crack in the rendering on the side of the house above a stairwell window reaching up to the top of the wall (approx 2 feet long). I have an estate agent's photo which I have edited to show the position of the crack. Not a very good photo I know.

The house next door has a similar vertical crack and a couple of others (all of the same design) around the corner have them above the same window.

Anything to worry too much about would you think? I guess when my survey gets done then I'll know more.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
With that picture its impossible to tell. That said a lot of houses do move a little and that is a common place for any movement to show its self and it could well be nothing from a structural perspective.

If you look at the same location inside is there any cracking, also any in the celling etc ?

You could also ask a structural contractor the cost to rectify the problem, if its nothing major it will only be a couple hundered quid. Actually paying an engineer would be ideal but with a contractor you will probably get the job done less in total than it would cost to get the enginner out ;)

Thanks for the reply

Not noticed any cracking inside. I've uploaded some better pictures.
The rest of the wall looks ok with no cracks. There is a chunk of missing rendering at the other end of the wall (not sure what happened there).

The house is in a cluster of about 8 all of the same design. Of those that I can see 3 have some form of crack above the same window.

//media.diynot.com/130000_129435_16577_79179631_thumb.jpg

//media.diynot.com/130000_129435_16576_35408346_thumb.jpg
Image[/img]

Sponsored Links
My gut feelin is thats only in the render, but I should say I'm only a guy who has restored a few houses, all be it old ones, not a SE/Builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back