Cracks in walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've recently had a loft conversion completed & the ceiling joists were strengthened. Anyway two months on & there's been a few cracks appearing in the downstairs rooms & lost a little plaster, mainly where the walls adjoin the ceiling. Is this settlement caused by my loft conversion?

In my front room I've also noticed this problem, but that was there when I moved in 18 months ago, is this common in older houses? My house is around 30 years old.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't want to ruin you Christmas but did you use a reputable firm and did you ask for references from satisfied customers as well as visited and seen the finished job?

Yes you could be right in assuming it's settlement it could well be and nothing to worry about. All the activity in the loft has probably caused the old plaster to come off. It's more annoying than worrying.

But things to check. Contact your local authority and ask for the building control office. Once through ask if there are plans for the loft extension that I assume would be submitted by the conversion company.
Then if you get the ok yes plans yes ok site was surveyed at stages then just keep an eye on the cracks. Don't repair yet as if settlement they will open again. leave for a few more months.
Best repair is to cut back deeper and wider then fill them, well wetting the cracks first. not by electric of course use damp cloth.

If you are still concerned about the work then contact your council again

Make an appointment to see a surveyor to go over the plans.

You can ask for the surveyor who dealt with the extension if they sent one out, they usually do to inspect each of several stages.

The floor should be of the secondary type supported on one RSJ at the back of the loft and another at the front set 6" above the ceiling joists in the walls each side.

Sorry to get you worried but as I've said it is most likely settlement.

Greengrass

Thanks for the info. Yep, I've got references & have seen previous work carried out by my builder & seemed happy with them.

Also have the relevant building applications passed by the council & had visits by a control officer throughout the build.

Yes, your also right regarding the strengthened ceiling joists & steel beam.

I will leave it a few more months before starting to fill the cracks.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back