Crap cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bedding my arris hips over this bloody cold period so got some frost additive. Mixed 3:1 and to be fair, they’ve gone on easier than I thought. But the mortar seems to be soft. I always have too much left over so dump it in a corner. 48 hours later I can easily crush it with my fingers.

2 thoughts: 1 freezing temps. But I added frost proof which recons down to -4.

2. Crap cement. Bag had been open 4-6 weeks, kept dry but had a good few lumps in.

What do you recon? A total balls up? It’s bringing a tear to my eye thinking about fetching all those arris hips off.

Sponsored Links
,48 hours in these temperatures and I wouldn't worry yet. Bring a block in the warm and keep it wet and you'll find it goes off quicker

is it staying moist? The curing will be delayed by the cold, but if it dries out before hardening, it will never be strong.

If the lumps could be broken up with your fingers, it's still usable.

Track the temperature on
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public...9&lon=-1.89&map=Temperature&fcTime=1513321200
(shows a 24 hour history)

I fear the temperature of a roof may be colder than this shows, so if it shows "0°C" I think your mortar may be spoiled.

I shall bring a bit inside to check this theory of cold temps slowing down the cure. I posted in the summer about the opposite - had an issue with mortar on the turn in 2 hours with my slow blockwork

Sponsored Links
is it staying moist? The curing will be delayed by the cold, but if it dries out before hardening, it will never be strong.

If the lumps could be broken up with your fingers, it's still usable.

Track the temperature on
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public...9&lon=-1.89&map=Temperature&fcTime=1513321200
(shows a 24 hour history)

I fear the temperature of a roof may be colder than this shows, so if it shows "0°C" I think your mortar may be spoiled.
Yes, still moist - as for the 0*C - I did add frost jollop that claims to protect to -4

Frost proofers are misunderstood and it's very foolish to think that you can just add some of this to a mix to get some sort of magical protection for mortar and concrete.

If water in the mix freezes before, during or soon after the setting period, the mix is ruined. There is no getting away from that basic fact.

Just adding the frost proofer itself weakens the mix. In the case of mortar, any moisture in the brick block or tile will also freeze and prevent the mortar bonding to the surface. That's why no work should be done when the mix is like to freeze - frost proofer or not.

IIRC, no anti freeze type additives are recognised or permitted for use in British Standards.

Btw you have not just been using building sand for this mix have you?

IIRC, no anti freeze type additives are recognised or permitted for use in British Standards.

Btw you have not just been using building sand for this mix have you?
The voice of doom! Where’s your sense of optimism?!

British standards? Do you honestly think I work to those? I prefer the Uzbekistani standards when it comes to construction.

Mix wise I’ve been using 3:1:1 building, sharp, cement.

It will be fine. Stop ****ing about and get on with it.

Add 3 ice cubes to your next mix (y)

Enough of this proper advice! Tell me it will all be fine and be done with it!
When I was a kid everything could be stuck with sellotape and blue tack.
The adult version is duck tape and no more nails.
You know what you have to do..:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back