Creaking floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have very creaky floorboards

I'm putting a carpet down, so taking the opportunity to screw them in properly

The house is 1978 and I guess the boards haven't been touched since it was built. They have also been nailed down too, hence the noise.

I drilled a pilot near the nail. I then used a 45mm floor tight screws in....but it stops and just spins about 1cm before going flush

Any advice for a novice?

Sponsored Links
The house is 1978 and I guess the boards haven't been touched since it was built.
I drilled a pilot near the nail. I then used a 45mm floor tight screws in....but it stops and just spins about 1cm before going flush

Any advice for a novice?
Don't assume they haven't been touched ! They could have been lifted by " plumbers" and "electricians " who disregard how the boards go back. You could post pics. looking down @ the boards and someone will be able to see if they've been up

Don't assume they haven't been touched ! They could have been lifted by " plumbers" and "electricians " who disregard how the boards go back. You could post pics. looking down @ the boards and someone will be able to see if they've been up
It's more a question is why do all my screws stop?! There's about 8cm of wood! It's like they are hitting concrete!! Is the pilot hole not enough? Too narrow, too wide?! I assumed they screws would be happy on their merry way once given a nice little pilot hole to jump in too!

Attachments

• 16215280898241922624247477662512.jpg
    16215280898241922624247477662512.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 91

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back