Creaking stairs: is this an acceptable glue block?

jff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a fairly new 3-storey house where quite a few stairs are creaking. Since it is still under NHBC warranty, I have requested the inspection from an NHBC inspector. The claim was rejected on the grounds that the carpet was not installed by the builder and the grippers on the stairs were nailed; the inspector concluded that nailing the grippers caused damage on the stairs. He did not open any of the stairs to inspect if that was indeed the case.

Since then, I have opened a small inspection window in one of the creaking stairs. Inside, I found this piece of wood:

I suspect that this was being used as a glue block to secure the tread to the riser. However, in all the photos I have seen about glue blocks and wedges, I have never seen anything like this! Moreover, it appears that they have used massive nails to secure it to the stair, causing the wood to split:

What I would like to ask is: is this a standard glue block? Could this be considered sub-standard work by the builder? In my opinion, using this block of wood as a glue block and nailing it as shown is a recipe for disaster and should be considered sub-standard work. What do you think?

Many thanks in advance for your views on this matter!

Sponsored Links
nailing carpet grips on should not damage the stairs

did they force the carpet between the riser and back off the treads??

• Thanks
Reactions: jff
Why not fix the stairs yourself?

In the context of this thread, who fixes the stairs is irrelevant. I am trying to determine if the work performed by the builder is sub-standard or not.

If you prefer, I can rephrase the question as: if I fix the stairs, and use a glue block as shown in the pictures (with the same nails, etc), will I be doing an acceptable work?

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
nailing carpet grips on should not damage the stairs

did they force the carpet between the riser and back off the treads??

Thanks for your reply. No, I don't think that they forced the carpet. I know that NHBC has refused similar claims using the same reason: nailed grippers to stairs.

What do you think about the glue blocks?

the glue hasnt penetraited the wood on the stairs as the surface is smooth
is it the same on both surfaces
is the risers/treads wood/ply or wood /mdf

• Thanks
the glue hasnt penetraited the wood on the stairs as the surface is smooth
is it the same on both surfaces
is the risers/treads wood/ply or wood /mdf

I believe that both the risers and treads are MDF.

Here's a picture from the inside of the stair:

You can see that there is some glue there.

Thanks

mmm mdf is great but not for stairs
i have never used mdf for stairs as its not the best material
its made from wood fibers glued together and as we know glue dosnt stick to well to glue

ok i will have to bow out as i have never made or repaired an mdf staircase :eek:

Can't tell the size of the block from your pics, but it does look a little on the small side.
Traditionally, glue blocks were also screwed to the riser/tread.
Nailing would not be as effective on mdf.
Better-quality stairs are usually made with softwood treads and plywood risers, which are also better materials for screwing the blocks in.

Personally, I doubt you will get anywhere going for the builder or NHBC, that's why I suggested having a go yourself.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back