Creaky flooring - pre-drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lifting the bedroom carpet tonight to attempt 'repair' of creaky chipboard flooring. I've read on hear that 2" screws are best used straight into joists - but should I pre -drill through the chipboard first or drive the screws straight home?

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
Question 2!!

The carpet is fixed with grippers all round - how feasible is it for a novice like me to hire a carpet stretcher and put the carpet back over the grippers

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
Give it a try yourself, you might find the carpet has stretched & you need to cut it. But if you arnt happy with it call carpet fitter in shouldnt charge much.

Diyisfun said:
Give it a try yourself, you might find the carpet has stretched & you need to cut it. But if you arnt happy with it call carpet fitter in shouldnt charge much.
Thanks for the reply. We will be getting a new carpet in another room for Christmas - I may as well put the other one down temporarily for now and ask the fitter to sort it properly then :LOL:

Thanks for the fitter suggestion - no point me hiring a kicker and then 'kicking' myself when I survey my effort :oops:

Cheers

Homer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back