Creating a Kitchen Diner - Removing Load Bearing Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of getting a few quotes in to knock through the wall between our kitchen and dining room, the first builder came round took a few measurements asked a few questions and went away, the 2nd (Who was recommended) did the same but said I'd need to get an engineer to draw up all the loads involved. Needless to say I'm leaning towards the 2nd builder already!

The wall in question is very much so a load bearing wall, the ground floor was extended outwards at the back so the upstairs outer wall is also resting on the wall in question, I'm assuming there is an RSJ or large timber beam supporting the upstairs outer wall as well (I don't want to rip down my ceiling to find out just yet) but given it'll run the whole length of the house it's probably safe to assume this is also dependent on the wall we want to take out.

I'm very much aware you guys can't really advise on the job itself without drawings etc. I'm just looking for some pointers in what I need to look out for with the builder, I don't want to get someone in for them to rip down the wall and a big crack appear upstairs or something worse.

I'm fairly technical minded but don't have any experience with building work, the wall is 3 meters so it isn't a vast gap to cover and my gut feeling is that the tricky/most expensive bit of the job is getting the rsj in without the house falling down

Sponsored Links
Firstly I would take the advise given by the second builder, get in a SE(Structural Engineer) to do the calculation on what is needed to securely support both the walls and the upper floors.
Once you have the calcs, a builder will be in a better place to give you an estimate or quote.

It's normally advisable to get three quotations and also some testimonies/references/evidence of the quality of work they do.

Also arrange a structure where you pay for the work in stages as the work progresses, leaving about 10-15% for the final payment on completion of work, and any snagging that needs to be done. Get this in writing.
The builder may ask for some material costs up front, this is also normal.
Then when your happy with the work, pay the balance and all being well everyone is happy.
Building Controls will need to be notified of the structural work, they too will want to see the calcs made by the SE, also any electrical work within the kitchen or new circuits will also need to be notified, if the electrician being used is not registered with one of the domectic installers schemes.
So to avoid being overcharged by having to submit more than one application for building controls, make sure you get down all the work that will need building control regulation on the same (one) application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back