Creating an ensuite without a window. Extractor needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create an ensuite bathroom in the master bedroom. There wont be a window and so I will need an extractor fan. The bathroom wont be on an outside wall so the ducting will have to be run along the bedroom wall to the outside as the attic above has been converted.

What sort of extractor fan do I need? Is there anything special I need to get?

Im aware of Part P, other than that and the extractor fan, is there anything else I need to considder?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Do the roof joists run in the direction that the ducting will run ? If so, you can fit the ducting between them. What length is the ducting run ? Most bog (excuse the pun) standard 4" (100mm) bathroom extractors are rated at around 75'ish cubic metres per hour and have a max ductable length of 3 metres. If you want to go beyond that length you will either have to go to a 6" fan and ducting or you get an something like an Airflow ICON30 http://www.alertelectrical.com/product_type.asp?typeID=155&desc=Icon+Extractor+Fans
, these are still 4" fans and ducting but push 113 cubic metres per hour and will push it through up to 9 metres of ducting.
I'm not aware of the specific regs for an unvented room other than it needs an extractor but hope the above is of some use. Maybe other here will chip in with any other regs.

Is it going to be a separate room or just a shower in the corner of a bedroom?

If its the former, obviously you can't have socket outlets in it (we are one of the very few countries that doesn't allow them*, OOI), but if the latter, you arn't percluded from having sockets in your bedroom, you can have them in zone 3, I believe, but they must be protected by 30ma RCD

* Yes, I know BS7671 is non statuary, but uou know what I mean... :)

Adam_151 said:
you arn't percluded from having sockets in your bedroom, you can have them in zone 3, I believe, but they must be protected by 30ma RCD

Zone 3 is 600mm from the enclosure, but 7671 insists that any socket outlets are at least 2.5m from shower...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Adam_151 said:
you arn't percluded from having sockets in your bedroom, you can have them in zone 3, I believe, but they must be protected by 30ma RCD

Zone 3 is 600mm from the enclosure, but 7671 insists that any socket outlets are at least 2.5m from shower...

I stand corrected :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back