Creda 37761 Tumble dryer won't spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Creda 3776 is reluctant to spin, I've removed drum and cleared away all the clag that had built up and greased the bearings, but its still hit & miss as to whether it works or not. The tension on the drum belt seems OK with no slippage. You can hear the motor trying to start and with a little persuasion the drum does turn and continues until the end of the cycle. Any ideas would be appreciated as to what can be wrong with it.
Regards
Otto

PS: what is the purpose of the large capacitor, is this to place load on the motor when starting?

Sponsored Links
change cap it is faulty it stores power for the motor :LOL:

ebay/ rs maplins/ any 7 uf cap will fit about a tenner it should cost you ;)

Sponsored Links
looked at a hotpoint tumble drier that was a bit hit and miss a couple of years ago. Found there were two electrical circuits. In the primary circuit a relay controlled the power of the secondary circuit. Drum would turn for various amounts of time.
The relay was removed and tested using test lamp to represent the secondary circuit. It appeared to work ok, but failed when left energised for a minute or so.
When cool it would energise and switch the secondary on, but the rise in temperture made it fail which indicates a break in the coil windings.
problem resolved with new relay. So suggest you check relay before anything else. it costs nothing!
:rolleyes:

Sleepyheads right, the Creda does not have the relay, but the information you supplied Mandate is invaluable. Thank you very much.
For info I've purchased a 7uf cap off EBay for £2.49. Creda spares wanted £16.44 for it. Here's hoping it works.
Regards
Otto

Replaced the original cap on the dryer, noticed the one I removed was actually a 7.5uf Cap, changed anyways with the 7uf cap and all is well, hasn't faltered, (knock on wood)
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
Regards
Otto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back