Creda 550C burnt out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all thanks for looking, i have a creda 550c (9.5kw) running on 10mm cable through a ceiling switch and have just been told "honey the shower is smoking!". Wifey jumped out whilst i checked the fuse in the garage (untripped). I tripped out said fuse and popped the faceplate for the shower,what a mess! The neutral cable on the shower side of the connection block has burnt through completely and the surround housing was well on it's way to becoming a liquid. The cable is p-clipped in the loft well clear of insulation other than the entry point to the stud wall and cool to the touch during operation. The shower has been in for 2 yrs now and never missed a beat, is this one i have to chalk up to wear and tear or do i have a problem?

Sponsored Links
10 mm cable should be quite adequate for a 9.5 kW shower.

The problem has been caused by a dirty or loose input power connection in the shower.

I suppose it was probably loose or because loose over time. It helps to regularly check that they are tight.

To a large extent the shower manufacturers are to blame for using too small blocks for the power. Compare their size with similar connections in power distribution components.

Tony

cheers tony, i will just have to suck it up,battle the wallet moths and replace it, thanks for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back