crossings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know as the law stands what is the legal procedure regarding crossings?
at my local asda/B&Q stores there are white lines painted on the road with a sloped pavement for pedestrians to cross road? there are no zigzag lines leading up to the crossing & no belisha beacons.
if i wanted to cross said road do the public have to stop for me?the highway code states that if my foot is on the crossing the vehicle has to attempt to stop.these crossings are on a long strecth of road with no obstructions but the vehicles do not even attempt to slow down?i know its private groung aswell :confused:

Sponsored Links
as you say its private land so laws of the land dont apply

the only laws i think may apply is health and safety

or just plain common sence

i think you would need signs telling you whats expected
at these areas but if they put signs up they are probably
excepting responcibility so the wont want to
so other wise its a free for all

big all

The other grey area is where lots of councils are now putting down strips of red tarmac to advise where ped's should cross the road. They have no status like a crossing, but people think you are obliged to let them cross. This is not the case, so think carefully before leaping across the road on one of these!!

We have similar crossings round here, but they are always on top of big speed humps therefore people are USUALLY driving quite slowly towards them. As the law stands, I don't believe they count as crossings, you aren't obliged to stop. However, the highway code DOES state that pedestrians already crossing the road have right of way, therefore if you drive over their toes as they are crossing then you are violating the code. And seeing as any more than 2mph over these humps will tear your wheels off, stopping is hardly a big deal.

In my experience, most people give way to pedestrians at them, very few people drive over as you are crossing. I am informed by a reliable source that these drivers have very small willies and never knew their father. :LOL:

Round my parents' way they have a problem with what people think is a crossing: through a village there are speedhumps to pavement height, with bollards either side of the road. Occasionally people think these are crossings (when there are no markings, red tarmac, signs etc) and walk out in front of cars.

Sponsored Links
I'm not so sure about the law on private car parks these days, a few months back in M'cr the police prosecuted a guy for teaching his son to drive on one. I don't know the circumstances, but it was very minor, they were on Asda's car park at the time.(Asda was closed)

Also give way and stop sign's etc count (from an insurance point of view) if you have an accident on these car parks. No doubt the crossings are the same.

I suppose being a publicly used land (even though privately owned) may be the reason. As opposed to a private estate.

That also happened in Lidl car park in Cheadle Hulme....

police prosecuted a guy for teaching his son to drive on one. I don't know the circumstance
was he prosicuted for a motoring offence eg not insured no l plates
no insurance not being in proper control ect ect ect

or for trespass or something simmilar

big all

securespark said:
The other grey area is where lots of councils are now putting down strips of red tarmac to advise where ped's should cross the road. They have no status like a crossing, but people think you are obliged to let them cross. This is not the case, so think carefully before leaping across the road on one of these!!
We have 6 of them down a High Street in our town and instead of red tarmac they use red block paving and slightly higher approx' 50mm. I must admit as a driver do you give way to the pedestrians ? I just got the latest highway code book and found no details about it. Why don't they make it black n' white stripes as in zebra crossing ?

Because it is not an official crossing zone like a pelican /zebra, just an area of differently coloured tarmac "pointing out" to pedestrians where to cross. There is no obligation for drivers to give way if pedestrians are waiting to cross, just as there is no obligation to do the same anywhere else (apart from designated crossings).

Sponsored Links
Back