Current regs on kitchen extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, When I moved into my current house in 2017 I removed the extractor fan in the kitchen along with the elevated wall cupboards. I don’t need a fan as I don’t fry or boil anything on the stove, in fact I cook as little as possible. A friend recently told me that I am required through the building regs to have an extractor fan and my current set up is not legal. Can anyone confirm either way? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
We just open a window if we need some ventilation, in fact having been in our current house for about two years I don't even know if the extractor fan works. Can't beat a decent bit of purge ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone, When I moved into my current house in 2017 I removed the extractor fan in the kitchen along with the elevated wall cupboards. I don’t need a fan as I don’t fry or boil anything on the stove, in fact I cook as little as possible. A friend recently told me that I am required through the building regs to have an extractor fan and my current set up is not legal. Can anyone confirm either way? Cheers.
So you don’t need the stove either then?

All new properties and extensions need to comply with Part F of the building regs

Existing properties are exempt

But removing a perfectly good extractor , whether it be recirculating or extracting from the room may be an odd decision imho

But removing a perfectly good extractor , whether it be recirculating or extracting from the room may be an odd decision imho
I probably wouldnt have removed one either.

But to be picky,
All new properties and extensions need to comply with Part F of the building regs
The only requirement of Approved document F, is that there shall be adequate means of ventilation.
Which in this case, there probably is!

Screenshot_20230919-174113_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Keep reading down the 2021 version until you get to 1.15 and beyond on page 8 maybe ?
Yes, that is the "guidance" for complying with the requirement.
In general, the approved document is adequate; complying with the document is the best way to keep building control on-side, but doesn't account for all circumstances.
Approved documents are approved by the Secretary of State and give practical guidance on common building situations about how to meet the requirements of the Building Regulations 2010 for England.
Take for example a passive house may have no direct "extract ventilation" in the kitchen - recirculating hoods are recommended.

Yes, that is the "guidance" for complying with the requirement.
In general, the approved document is adequate; complying with the document is the best way to keep building control on-side, but doesn't account for all circumstances.

Guidance , nonsense.

LABC are very strict around here on this stuff, no ifs , no buts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back