Cutting a stump in front garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a drive way built and just had the ground lowered for the sub base. Without wanting to call a tree surgeon to use a grinder to grind out the stump below, what is the best way to make a vertical splice or cut so that I can build a retaining wall with some sleepers? The stump is in the way of that.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That seems not a big task. Powerful chain saw can do what you want. First remove the upper side of the stump that is getting outside and then slowing move down in the same angle. The same thing you can do with the other part of the stump.

The problem is, the muddiness will damage the blade of the chainsaw. Do you think it would be easy to hack away with a pickaxe?

Even the slightest touch of soil or grit would blunt the chainsaw blade immediately......give it a go if you want but I'd have that stump ground away to prevent interference to the wall.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Drill holes into the stump with a large diameter drill and then fill the holes with chemical fertilizers. This can soften the stump and then you can use pickaxe to break up the stump from any angle that you think fit and safe. :D

Supposedly the previous owner did that a year ago. Problem is I need this sorted within a week or two and not sure if fertiliser will work that quick.

Will a large hand saw not be good enough? Remember I don't need to remove the whole thing, only enough to put some wooden sleepers under it.

If you don't think a chainsaw would work then I don't see why you would think a handsaw would. Plus that's a big stump to be going at with a handsaw so not much scope for back and forth movement.

Personally I would go at it with the sharp end of a mattock and/or try to get the lot out somehow. I know you don't need to get it all out but working round things like that can be difficult. Plus every time you walk down your new drive you'll see a stump you may wish you had removed.

Personally as you have a fair part of the stump left i would dig around it about a foot then wrap around a strop and put a turfor on it , then cut off the roots as they get smaller or as they no longer become a nuisance to you .

or if you dont want to hire a turfor, cut it with a cheap £10 handsaw and throw it away afterwards - i only say it as it will destroy a good chainsaw.
it will be hard work but ive dont it before when i removed 4 tree stumps in a back garden and got to the last one and had no other anchor point for the turfor

Kind regards Chris

Digging around it is not possible because it will damage the hedges which separate my neighbour's house and mine. I really only need to get rid of enough to put the sleepers up side it but as others have said, might look ugly leaving half of it behind.

Will either consider asking a labourer to use a hand saw on it or get a quote to have it grinded out for £50 odd.

Thx.

I keep an old chain and blade for when I tackle jobs like that. Unlike country trees, trees near houses usually have nails or such like in them somewhere. Most chainsaw guys will have an old chain and blade, for circumstances like these.
It doesn't look like there's anything around to attach a Tirfor to anyway, not that it would do much good on a stump that size.
It's a chainsaw job for sure. If you ruin a chain you'll get a new one for £15 so, it's not the end of the world.

Get someone with a stumpgrinder in. Few hours work, and a few tip runs to dispose of the chippings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back