Cutting Circle Out of Kitchen Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have read a few posts but none which exactly answer my query... Sorry!

Looking to cut a strange shape in a worktop to fit into quirky bathroom... I want to cut a circle for basin to sit on, I have read about special blades for jigsaws and polish sealant????
Part of the shape is a circle so howw do I do this so its neat and not splintering the facing edge?
I trimmed the shape using a circhlar saw and that isn't pretty so wanted to call on you guys assistance for perfection....

Sponsored Links
you need to use a blade that cuts on the downward stroke and I find Masking tape useful to mark guide lines on
it also helps prevent the jigsaw from scuffing the finish on the worktop

as for using a circular saw, use a fine blade and cut with worktop upside down start from curved face edge this usually prevents splintering

Thanks.
If I put the blade in the jigsaw... what way will the sloping edge run down or up?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A router will give the best finish on a solid wood top.

To cut a circle you will need to make a "compass" type jig so the router will pivot around a central point.

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/tips_4.html

If you want curves then its best to make up a thin template from say 6mm MDF as thats easily shaped then use a bearing guided routerbit against that.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back