Cutting hole in floor tiles to anchor toilet to floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody,

A tiler removed the toilet bowl before tiling the floor in a small downstairs toilet. He left me with the job of replacing the toilet bowl.

I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

I propose to use a masonry drill to drill the four holes in the floor tile. I dont know if the floor tile will anchor the toilet bowl if I simply use Rawlplugs. The tiles are laid on a wooden suspended tongue and groove wooden floor. On the other hand, if the anchor is to be provided by the wooden floor, will I need to obtain longer brass screws than the originals?

Once again, any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
jan - whatever you do DO NOT drill the tiles through the holes in the base of the bog pan. You MUST position everything in it's final resting-place then mark the hole positions, either with a soft pencil or feltpen, throught the bog pan holes and onto the floor below. You then remove the bog pan and drill through the tiles. You then put the bog pan back in position and use a £4 Fischer WC Pan/Bidet Kit (a bag of the correct screws, special plugs, sleeves and caps specially designed for this job) to fix it in place. Screw through the tiles INTO the wooden floor below - not over tight 'cos you might crack the bog pan. Holes in the tiles should be slightly larger dia than the screw shanks.

If you attempt to drill the holes into the tiles through the bog pan holes it is likely you'll slip (very common) thus cracking the pan base.

@ Symptoms,

Many thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Happy Christmas

get the lazy bugger back to finish the job properly, im sure if i did the same i wouldnt expect to get paid.

Sponsored Links
The bead of silicone that you should be running around the base of the toilet pan will hold it in place without any worries. Forget the screws - there's no need.

When drilling the holes in the tiles with a masonry bit, use masking tape first, wet the tile & go slow.

Also drill at the same angle the toilet pan holes are at, I have seen several with angled screw holes.

If you really wish to screw the pan down (and there really is no need), there are tile drilling tips at the bottom of the tiling sticky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back