Cutting old roofing slate to size

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not exactly roofing, but I'd like to cut down an old roof tile to make a roof for a 'bee hotel'.

I have an electric water-cooled tile cutter, designed for bathroom tiles. Would that do the job?

Sponsored Links
Not exactly roofing, but I'd like to cut down an old roof tile to make a roof for a 'bee hotel'.

I have an electric water-cooled tile cutter, designed for bathroom tiles. Would that do the job?
I should think it will work a treat!
Good idea I would have faffed about scoring and snapping!:LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Title says Slate, question says Tile..Which are you cutting?
It's a slate. I apologise if I have used the wrong terminology: a 'slate roofing tile'. Perhaps I should have said 'roofing slate'. It must be about 5 or so mm in thickness.

Sponsored Links
electric water-cooled tile cutter

I just watched this...

Seems that the pro's use a segmented(rather than continuous rim) diamond blade and tons of water to cut slate. I think you'll be fine.

Slate roofing tile is different from a roof slate.. That aside , what finish do you want to the edges? a diamond disc will cut if you want a square cut edge.a pair of slate snips will cut and give you a riven edge..
Thats if you have a natural slate from regions other than Brazil or China

Thanks for all your interest, people.
I wish I had the courage to use a slate hammer, but it's got to be the tile cutter. This has a continuous rim and hopefully will do the job, assuming the thing still works. It's been in the shed for years! The finish isn't too important, to be honest.

The tile cutter worked a treat. The thing worked perfectly even after all these years!
Thanks for the advice, people.

Attachments

• Slate.jpg
    Slate.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 245

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back