Cylinder thermostat wiring - Wiring Centre

Good grief :confused: why are you involving the central heating connections? I dont know how to make this any simplier,

The brown wire is common to cylinder stat, cut it between the junction box and the cylinder stat,

connect the brown from the junction box to com on new switch

connect the other end of the brown you just cut to normally closed on the new switch

connect a new cable from normally open on new switch to 2 (the cable that is sleeved ) on the cyl stat block connection.(which is the hot water off connection)

Sponsored Links
Or leave on constant, the heat loss from a modern unvented is not that great. That way everyone happy as unlimited (within reason) hotwater. Pretty sure depending on your tariff that gas is still always cheaper than electricity so why use electricity to heat the unvented?

Thanks Picasso - all understood :D

It was a typo when I was referring to CH!

Scoobydoo - unvented cylinder heated overnight using off peak electric.

Boiler is oil and I think costs more than off peak electric to heat a tank.

I see different story given the price of oil as you pay to get it transported etc. Oil I believe is quite efficient but the raw cost is obviously greater.

Sponsored Links
Cannot answer that, but thinking about the transportation costs and as it is getting less an less popular, someone more knowlegeable may know? But on the flip side why would someone buy an oil fired boiler if a radiant heater can be installed from £20.

Sorry cannot be more helpful, if it had been gas then it would have been a no brainer.

table that I have found not sure if accurate

Type of boiler Average annual fuel cost
Wood £510
Electric £870
Non-condensing gas £730
Condensing gas £490
Gas LPG £830
Non-condensing oil £1,100
Condensing oil £740

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back