Dab radio signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , is there any way to boost dab radio signals with some kind of amp so that i can receive a good signal throughout my flat , at the moment i can only pick up a signal in my kitchen and if i move the radio the signal just gets so bad that i can not tune in to any station .

Thanks in advance for any help

Phil

Sponsored Links
I guess I'm not too far away from the poster above, but I cant get zilch on my DAB radio.
Winter hill is blocked, pity otherwise I'd put an aerial up for freeview.

Are there DAB aerials?

I guess I'm not too far away from the poster above, but I cant get zilch on my DAB radio.
Winter hill is blocked, pity otherwise I'd put an aerial up for freeview.

Are there DAB aerials?
Yes DAB is a different freq to VHF radio or UHF TV and you can get combiners/splitters so all three can share same coax.

However I can receive more stations on my sky box than with DAB so I have just connected the sky box to audio system with twin phono cables and I use that. Flick TV on to select channel then back off again although I can remember those I use a lot.
Same can be done with Freeview so to me DAB is pointless why broadcast the same program on three digital signals seems total waist of energy unless DAB car radios are fitted by car manufactures retro-fit is going to mess up most multi-function car display units so forget them the DAB system is just a waste of wave length and power. It just adds a third frequency to most Radio Programs. It is not as yet available with internet radio combinations and with broad band in most houses if you want to receive radio from around the world then one wants a wireless LAN built into any high quality radio so DAB is going to fail unless taken up by car manufactures.

Sponsored Links
Further to the above, the data rate used by most DAB broadcasts is very low, to get more channels in (radio 3 is the only one that ever reaches anything approaching CD quality, and they only do that for live broadcasts, I think. The rest of the time R3 and Classic use 160Kb/sec, most of the rest 128K and some 112K.

Data rates on Sky, Freeview and Cable are better so you get better sound quality.

DAB is ok if you use a good external antenna,a simple dipole can be made from two lengths of wire or ally tube each 13" most DAB radios now are happy with a 75 Ohm feeder (Coax) and terminated with an f plug,as for signal quality and bit rate don't even get me started i have been into Hi-fi since 1976 and have heard better on a 30 year old FM Tuner (bloodings mp3 rubbish)........

Valve radios are great as are valve CD players pre & power amps but the radio programming just after WWII was not that good,valve are still in common use today.

The issue is though, a lot of the stations on DAB aren't on Sky or Freeview. About half of the stations I tune into on DAB only have the alternative of listening directly from their website which isn't always practical, and they still only stream at the same bitrate: 128kbps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back