Daft retaining wall price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a quote to build a 18m long by 1.5m high wood sleeper retaining wall, with also the moving of existing elevated soil area over a 180m2 area to flatten out the plot, and leave topsoil on top.

It did not seem that complicated from what I read here, yet quote came in at 4k - that included 100 sleepers. Sounds way high to me, thoughts?

Sponsored Links
£1,500 to £2k for the sleepers, concrete? fixings? other timber for battening?
is the digging happening by hand or machine?

that leaves about 2k for labour - at 150 a day, that would be 13 days or over a week for 2 guys.

sounds like hard work for someone......

As stupid says 1500 for sleepers maybe 200 for digger hire, another hundred for concrete, another 100 for fixings. Materials and digger could easily come to 2200.

Structural retaining walls like this are expensive and have to be over built unless spec'd be an engineer. A garden wall at 2/3 feet sure that would be a dear quote but for a wall 5 ft high that needs proper drainage behind it and built by someone who knows what they are doing I don't think it's too far off the mark.

Out of interest are the sleepers going between RSJ's because your getting out of the territory for using timber as posts.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back