Damage caused by builders.

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Next door have been having an extention built.

The builders have spilt mortar down my gable end brickwork and onto two windows. I was away on holiday when it happened and it had set hard when I got home.

Attempts to remove it are scratching and making a mess of the plastic.

Who is ultimately responsible for the cost of repairs? the builder or the house owner.

My own thoughts are the owner as the employer. What would you guy's think?

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about that - here's what I would do:
Get some photos showing the mortar on your side and the work that was done next door, in the same shot if possible to show how it happened - you never know when you may need them.
Protect your relationship with your neighbour, but get the builders details and contact them. Insist that they correct the damage, if you want them on your property of course, otherwise put together a quote for the work and tell them you want them to pay.
If the builders have an advert displaying membership to a society like the Guild of Master Builders (think that's the right name) then tell them you'll contact the guild if they refuse to fix the problem.
I think the builder's liability insurance should cover any damage, if they have any and if it's worth them claiming.
If the builder says he'll pay to avoid the insurance claim, work out a cost and get the cash before you do any work. Otherwise he could disown the problem once you've forked out for the repair.
The last alternative is to weigh up this agro/cost against that of sorting it out yourself - you shouldn't have to I know. There may be something like hot soapy water that would loosen the bond between the mortar and your window frames.
All the best,
P.J.

Thanks for that.

It's so annoying because it was so slovenly, they must of known. It would of taken minutes to remove with some water, at the time.

Bl**dy cowboys.

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
My own thoughts are the owner as the employer. What would you guy's think?

Well the owner isn't the builders employer, so responsibility must lie with the builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back