Damp and mould in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read some earlier posts about damp in lofts, I have water drips on the felt under the tiles, I think from what was said I just need ventilation BUT my loft insulation looks like it has a blackish layer on top, mould? If I get more ventilation will the insulation be ok or does it need changing. Can I use a dehumidifier in the loft whilst waiting to get the vents done as a lot of my stored stuff is damp in parts and fabric straps on cases look like they have some mould spots.

Sponsored Links
I had plastic fitted on the external wood last year. After looking outside it seems they have covered the vents and not put any new in so I presume thats the cause, lack of ventilation. I can get that seen to, worried about the black on the top of the yellow insultion material. will this go when vented or does it need changing. Can I use a de humidifier in the loft or will this cause more propblems.

the black might be dirt or it might be mildew. cut a bit off and put half in warm water with washing up liquid and half in water with bleach. WUL removes dirt and bleach kills mildew so it comes off. Live mildew holds tight.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. Will try that tomorrow, if its mildew will it stay there once the venting problem is fixed. Do I need to change the insulation.
Will a dehumidifier in the loft speed up the drying out or will that cause other problems.

mould and mildew will die once dry.

what sources of damp do you have?

Look at the felt. You will see it is laid from the roll in horizontal runs with an overlap. Look at the overlap and see if you can open it up an inch or so to let air through on both sides. Something the size of a garden hose or broom handle cut into one-foot legths. Do not dislodge the tiles.

Presume the damp is condensation due to lack of ventilation. Will look at felt tomorrow and also investgate expansion tank from hot water tank in room below. Thanks again for your help.

you don't drape wet washing about your house do you?

how long do you run the bathroom extrasctor fan?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back