damp behind units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Well I had such an informative response from my last question I'll try again with something different.

History:
fitted an Ikea kitchen 3 or 4 years ago. Installed washing machine and spin dryer next to it.
Much too heavy to move in and out and all cleaning etc was via a hoover and canes to move anything lost under there.
Washing machine just died on us. and a replacement purchased...

Problem:
We found that the wall behind the washing machine was covered in a black mold substance. Worse to follow
There is also the same black mold along the side cupboard. a 1.5" gap. Without moving the whole kitchen units and giving ourselves massive amounts of work...
We have managed to clean the wall (to a point) with Milton bleach stuff. And now we have had to install the washing machine.

Question:
Should I have filled this 1.5" gap with some form of insulation as a buffer to the outer wall.
OR
what I have actually done, drilled some holes in the kickboard to increse the airflow. (previously very little airflow from what I can see)

Additional Info:
There are no water problems. Waste water travels from the machine directly to the outside drain via a fitted tube.
There are no problems with the expelled air from the dryer, it goes strait outside via a tube and hole in the wall.
I can only think that it is yet again an airflow problem (as per chimney in previous thread)
We are all too busy trying to keep ourselves warm for the winter.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Princy[/b]

Sponsored Links
Seemingly a condensation problem which I would suspect the extra airholes will alleviate considerably. Unless the wall is fully dried out, I wouldn't put any insulation back there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back