Damp concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a ground floor 2bed flat but in the lounge and bedroom appears to be damp and mould coming from the floor. It’s concrete floor ( don’t think it has a membrane) built around 1970 , there are Marley tiles on floor and Ive got carpet over this, carpet new 6 months ago but appears damp and a smell . What is best way to get rid of damp,,. I have got lots of furniture in both rooms which I know doesn’t help. please advise best way to deal with this, thanks

Sponsored Links
I would guess your floor does have a dpm, but no insulation. And it's the lack of insulation that can give rise to condensation, even on floors.
To offer a more definitive answer would require more information about your lifestyle, e.g. clothes drying, heating schedules, ventilation behaviour, etc., and the rest of the house construction, etc.
How long have you lived there?
Was the flat a local authority build or private?
Do you have heating in that room, what sort, how often?
What is the room used for? Do you dry clothes indoors?
Do you have and use ventilation in that room? You mention a lot of furniture, what is the air circulation like? (Bearing in mind that air cannot circulate behind and under furniture that is hard up against walls and floors)

Once humidity builds up in a room or property, it can take months of a strict regime to reduce that humidity.

It might not be condensation.

Tape a piece of clear plastic tightly to the floor, after wiping it dry. Do water droplets appear under the plastic (the floor side) or on top of the plastic (the room side)?

Water leaks from old pipes are very common.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back