Damp & Condensation on External Wall

JWP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read the write ups on this topic for internal walls, and wanted to pick your brains on my situation.

I have a 3 Bed/Semi (built mid 80's), and the problem is on our external wall.
We noticed a while back that there is faint/shadow outlines of the internal blockwork showing through the paint/plaster above the stair-well.

Our outside wall takes a real battering from the wind & rain (very exposed), and due to the sandy mix used (some corners cut me thinks) needs re-pointing anyway. (have started but have got a long way to go)

What is worrying is that at the bottom of the stair well (near front door) there is a patch approx 1- 1.5 m^2 that was soaking wet this morning. Was only noticed because we were shifting things that were in front (scarf/hat boxes & garments on coat rack)

As I'm behind on the repointing, I was intending to remove a few bricks on the outer wall, a couple of rows above the DPC, to see if there is a build up of "muck" that may have dropped during construction, and has now gotten sodden-through, due to the state of the pointing (visible holes through to cavity).

Is it worth doing, as the internal wall is so wet, or should I wait until I've finished re-pointing. I'm concerned that I will just trap all the moisture inside by not checking the cavity, and clearing if necessary.

Also Is it worth putting an air brick top and bottom when I do the repointing, or is this excessive.

JWP

Sponsored Links
Airbrick - ie. ventilating the cavity is excessive and will in effect leave you with a single skin wall :eek: as far as cold air goes. Unfortunately the 80`s was yet another boom for building and there were still labourers on the mixer "gauging" by the shovel full . Now at least the mortar is in Silos so it`s consistant - brickwork is dead neat too . keeps your eye off the flimsy plasterboard walls /small rooms and chipboard floors inside ;) pretty sure there will be muck @ the bottom of the cavity good to clean it out before repointing.

• Thanks
Reactions: JWP
Your wet patch could be condensation.

This will often form on an outside wall behind a wardrobe or similar which prevents air-circulation.

Your heap of boxes . coats etc will have performed a similar function.

• Thanks
Reactions: JWP
Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys!... Both very helpful!

I believe the wet patch was due to condensation, as we have been monitoring it, and now that there was air circulation in the corner it wasn't half as bad. Still feels dampish though.
Will forget the air-bricks and definitely have a look inside the cavity before repointing that end of the wall! :)

Cheers fellas!

Until the next time...
JWP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back