Damp floor in kitchen - looking for some suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, firstly thanks for taking the time to read this, i’ve searched and searched but can’t find anything that aligns with my issues.

We’ve noticed a damp smell at the far end of our kitchen, which is against an external wall.
This end of the kitchen is away from the sink, cooker and kettle.

We’ve noticed mold inside one of the rarely used cupboards (its where the spirits (not ghosts) are kept). We had previously had a builder have a look at this and we put down some silver lined bubble wrap type insulation / shielding, as we were told it was condensation due to a cold corner.

However we have now removed the cupboard plinths, and removed a unit, and can see that the damp patch is back and appears to have spread across the floor further than previous.

To give more detail, house is roughly 1970’s, and this part of the kitchen is part of a two storey extension, extension built approx 30 years ago. The extension was built over a garage at the front of the house, and the kitchen expanded.

The damp appears to be across the floor only, the walls are dry, and i have previously siliconed a plastic patch to the wall to see if it was coming through the wall, but it remained dry. But the floor is still damp.

Last year we had a block drive, and path up the side of the house, which has raised the level a little, although the issue was apparent before that was completed.

There is also an outside tap, that we cant identify where its fed from. (I’ll try to update with a drawing to denote the tap etc)
The external tap comes out of the wall towards the front of the house, but we dont know the routing of the plastic pipe that feeds it. Would it have been plastic piping used 30 years ago, during the extension build?

Here’s some pics i’ve snapped

Doesnt seem to expand beyond this
IMG_5815.jpeg

IMG_5819.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

External shot of DPC
IMG_5821.jpeg

Side of house allong wall where damp is showing. Low render to dpc level.
IMG_5823.jpeg

Can anyone identify what type of damp this would be? And what / who would be best next step to contact for remedying the problems?
Builder, Damp company? I just dont know, so any help is hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back