Damp floor problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, after some help please!

My wooden conservatory floor has been damp since I bought this house a few years ago and I have finally got around to investigating it.

It looks like the floor is lacking a damp proof layer between the concrete floor and wooden stands. However I am unsure if the wooden beam running fixed to the brick wall would require a damp proof layer between it and the brickwork? The wall appears single skin but the wood is fixed above its damp course.

Will I need to replace the timbers as they have been damp (they still appear solid).

Thanks for your time....

View media item 46080 View media item 46081 View media item 46082 View media item 46083 View media item 46084

Sponsored Links
It looks like that damp is coming across from the external walls into the timber. A poor design/job as the timber should be separated from the external walls, and its nothing to do with the concrete

There should also be airbricks in the wall if none already

So if I got some damp proofing between the brickwork and timber I wouldn't need to get it under the small supports (the ones away from the outside wall)?

Not sure why whoever constructed the floor didn't put in damp proof as they have the house wall side!

There are some air bricks on conservatory wall however house air bricks go into conservatory inside area! So I am going to knock some new ones in to link the two together - Well hopefully there is room!

Thanks for the reply...

It does not look like there is any damp to the bits of timber on the floor, but it wont hurt if you put a bit of DPC, polythene or slate between them and the concrete

Sponsored Links
I cant visualise the layout plan, but because this conservatory construction
has blocked off some of the air bricks for cross ventilation under the house i should start adding extra air bricks ( 9x9's ) wherever possible. Go crawl your main house and note ventilation/damp conditions.

2. If you can crawl under the floor and slide some DPC material under the posts it might help. The posts near to the RSJ should be replaced with some brick, on DPC. Or wrap new "posts" in damp material.

3. As woody said, you have penetrating damp that requires sorting out, or your floor will rot out. It's already slightly started - the board is well swollen.

4. Where is the "wooden beam fixed to the wall?"

5. You might require a membrane over your conservatory oversite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back