Damp in garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have damp coming into our garage and the mortar is crumbly and wet in the bottom 2 to 3 rows of bricks on one side of our garage.

Our neighbour (since left) installed paving up against that wall of our garage about 5yrs ago, but he laid the patio about 8 inches above the ground level of our garage and the damp course which is level with the ground (we live on a slight hill).

The new neighbour is aware of the problem and I sure he will want to rectify the problem, but he may not be as keen if it will cost him a lot of money.

Is there a simpler solution than him having to re-lay the patio at a lower height (i.e. create a step) or digging out a trough along the wall and installing some sort of drainage?

The damp is getting worse and worse and we don't want to keep leaving it!

Sponsored Links
Try digging a trench first.....6 or 8 " wide should be enough, right down to below DPC level.
This may be enough to sort things, but I wouldn't be too chuffed if he did that to me!
John :)

Thanks John.

I will need to get into the neighbour's garden and lift some of his paving slabs to dig the trench, which he may not be happy about.

He is a nice guy, but he is built like Mr Universe so I don't really want to get on his nerves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back