Damp on ground floor chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chimney that has been capped off in the loft and believe it was done many years ago. On the ground floor the right hand side is damp up to about 1.5 meters high. I am not sure if it is rising damp. There is no vents on the chimney breast, does it need any if it is capped off in the loft.
Not sure what to do can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean by "capped off in the loft" do you mean that the chimney has been taken down below the roofline and a cap fitted on it inside the loft? Surely a cap is fitted to stop the ingress of rain, which wouldn't happen if it is below the roofline

Anyway, that aside, I had the same set up (except there was no cap, the chimney top was just left open into the loft) and damp, so I installed two air bricks one inside the room at the base where the fire place would have been, and one outside at the top to get a flow of air through the chimney. It reduced the damp slightly in that I suppose it helped dry it out, but didn't get rid of it, so I opened up the chimney breast and found muddy sludge at floor level. It appears that when the house was built (1960's) the chimney base was open to the ground. so I dug down and removed about 2 feet of sopping wet soil, lined the hole with a piece of damp proof membrane and filled the hole with concrete. That was 10 years ago and there has not been a trace of damp since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back