Damp on window sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning

Looking for some advice if possible please. My double bedroom has double glazing same in all rooms. Do not have any issues other places just this corner. I have checked with the previous owner who was a builder who suggested the seal from outside could have shrunk in, however cannot see evidence of this.

Can anyone offer any advice in who I can call upon to get this looked at and resolved please.

Help is appreciated

Cheers

Attachments

• 747E6F37-8D96-4EEA-936E-86D05BE58BBE.jpeg
    747E6F37-8D96-4EEA-936E-86D05BE58BBE.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,885
Sponsored Links
I would say condensation caused by cold bridging, or the window wasn't sealed to the cill as it was being fitted allowing driven rain to get between the cill and window then tracking sideways, it wouldn't explain the water pooling on the cill but would certainly show up as damp on the plaster, however maybe enough damp could cause pooling water, difficult one, being an upstairs window and very unlikely you'll want to take the complete frame out and seal the window to the sill I would chop away the wet plaster and se if you can silicone seal the end of the window/cill to divert the water forward. You could then fill the void/cavity with expanding foam which is waterproof itself, once dry trim it back and polyfiller over the top and theres your cold bridge sorted as well

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

I have found that water is not pooling and there does not seem to be any moisture inside, just the stain. I always leave that window open at a crack.

Is it possible that it could need sealed from the outside?

Condensation would not soak in thru the paintwork, it looks like penetrating moisture at the window board which would have not been sealed allowing moisture to enter thru its edge.Rakeout seal outside and re-instate. Think the builder advice was spot on.

Sponsored Links
Awesome I’ll give that a go!

Would a glazier do this for me? I’ve not got the right tools or a long enough thing ladder.

Cheers

Apologies for butting in but this sounds very similar to my problem so I thought maybe better not to start another thread - I too have water ingress at bottom corners of window upstairs, ruining window board and plaster locally. I poured 2 litres of water on the bottom of the frame near the corner and it drained OK through the drainage holes but a little later I found water creeping up between the cill upstand and the frame resting on it. Best solution I can think of other than re-fitting/re-sealing window would be to try and seal the tiny gap between the upstand and the frame with a generous covering of silicon sealant. Is there anything better I could use or do? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back