damp patch under window, isolated area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I was repainting the bedroom walls and noticed a damp patch under one of the windows. It appears to be an isolated area and i never noticed it before.

It is right under the window sill (of a double glazed window). We had heavy rain in th eUK recently, maybe that has something to do with it?

can anyone shed any light / advice on this? I have uploaded a photo if that helps:

//www.diynot.com/network/andrewaaa299/albums/4303

//www.diynot.com/network/andrewaaa299/albums/

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you[/img]

Sponsored Links
is it under the window or in the corner of the reveal.any pics???

Hi there, its directly under the window sill. I pasted a link to a photo i uploaded - does that link work?

(no idea how to display an image in an actual post though)

I've added it for you andrew:-

I can't tell if they're salts leaching out of the plaster or not because the flash has caused a reflection on the photo. Are there white salts on the plaster? That skim looks quite new, like they've tried a remedial repair that hasn't quite worked maybe :confused:

What's the brickwork/pointing like externally? Is there any water maybe pooling on the window cill and not being shed? Pics from the outside may reveal more.

Sponsored Links
Is it 9" or cavity brickwork, the window board looks to me like a sash type. Was there a sash replaced with a double glazed unit , what type of unit, & did this occur before? What is the window sat on externally, is it a stone cill & is the new unit sat on this or on its own sub cill?

Hello guys, thanks for trying to help.

- The plaster is newer you are right (we moved in 3 montsh ago)
- There is no salt that i can see (it is just camera flash)
- Yes it is a double glazed window that has replaced a sash. The dble glazed window must be 8 years or more old. No idea if this occured before, but may have done given that the plaster in thsi area looks new
- outside there is a thick window cill, made of stone i believe
- the window unit sits within part of the old sash frame. The old sash frame is a little worse for wear externally where it meets the double glazing
- the brick work is just standard brick - its a Victorian house, no no cavity etc - I could not see any water pooling on the window sill, but the rain has eased off for a good 24 hours or so
- externally there is a small mini tiled roof over a bay window, which has a gutter. The top of this mini roof runs directly iunderenath the window sill externally and at the bottom of the roof there is a gutter

have you got a picture of this???

- the window unit sits within part of the old sash frame. The old sash frame is a little worse for wear externally where it meets the double glazing

that doesnt look good to me from those pics.my guess its getting through that silicone joint.

Bit of silicone may do the job, using the old sash as a sub frame may also be the prob if its past its sell by date. Could the fact that it's damp close to the verge of the roof be a point? Have you looked around that area for any gaps or loose pointing around the flashing? The flashing looks very tight to the cill & it may be that the pointing isn't too good there, after the wind & driven rain we've had, it's feasible that it may have soaked through and come out in the corner. Try the silicone solution first & go from there though, just a matter of eliminating each possibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back