Damp problem in bathroom solutions.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, usually im in the electrics uk forum, but i have popped in to building to say hello and ask for some friendly help :)

my brothers house is a 1950's brick built mid terrace house and has a bad damp problem in the bathroom, I dont think it is rising damp as it is high up on the walls and ceiling.. After having a shower there is condensation running down the walls. There is a extractor fan but it doesnt do much.. The room is always cold, and smells damp, and there is no central heating. They have tried painting etc but no good...

What are the options, would battening off the walls with insulation and plasterboarding, skimming and perhaps eggshell paint and tiles help?

Thank you for all your help!

Sponsored Links
if the walls are cold you are always gonna get water on the walls, esp after a hot shower.

try fitting a heater, you can get pull cord wall mounted fan heaters and try painting the walls and celing with bathroom paint or gloss paint. will stop the water soaking into the paint and going mouldy. will prob still need to wipe the walls down after a shower.

i guess the bathroom is up stairs? any other rooms have damp problems? guttering ok?

What are the options, would battening off the walls with insulation and plasterboarding, skimming and perhaps eggshell paint and tiles help?

Thank you for all your help!

Bang on the money!

Insulation + ventilation = reduced condensation.

Sponsored Links
Noseall are you saying that it is a good idea?
It is a downstairs bathroom with 2 outside Walls unknown if there is cavitys. There is a downflow heater in there too but doesn't help . No other rooms are cold and damp. Thanks for your replys !!

Does bathroom have a window?
If so open it. Condensation is reduced by ventilation.
Leave it open while you are in the house.
If it is cold then shut the door.

So if the walls are battened off and insulated then this will be a good start? Or is there an easier way to insulate??

You can buy pre-insulated plasterboards from builders merchants that can either be fixed to the battens or directly to the wall using board adhesive.

If you go down the adhesive route then be sure to buy plain backed insulation as opposed to foil backed. You may need to install an additional vapour barrier if the latter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back