Damp proof concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Pulling up vinyl tiles in the kitchen (which had been there since the 60s I reckon) showed the concrete slab beneath. Not sure if this is the full thickness of the slab visible from outside (about 30 - 45 cm) or not.
The slab is covered with some BLACK STUFF which is now coming off. Am I right in thinking that that was how they damp-proofed in these days? Laying the slab and painting it with bitumen or something on top? The reason I suspect this is that when the interior wall (non-load bearing, but made of brick) came down the bricks were sitting on a bed of slate (just like the damp proof in the outside walls).

How do I deal with this? There is a very very faint smell of damp, but no visible dampness, so I suspect that it could be a problem at some stage.

Can I just paint the whole thing with a bitumen-based sealer and lay carpet?

Sponsored Links
DPM's were compulsary after the 1965 Building Regs were introduced, but some floors before this had them. You may get the best answer in the flooring section.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back