damp proofing paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
morning

had a bit of a mare lately - we've got an inside wall that's partly underground (we live on a hill where the back of the house is 1 storey below the front of the house). The plaster was all damp and crumbly so i took it off painted the under bricks with some waterproofing stuff (asked a bloke at b&q and he gave me this tin - fair enough) and plastered over it again - with the rain we've just had lately i found out that it didn't stop the damp coming through and now the plaster is damp again (cheers b&q for selling me the wrong stuff - it's for the outside of the house to stop rain penetrating brick - yeah i know i should have checked but i've never had experience of this kind of thing before and i thought they'd know (how wrong...)

anyway what i need is recommendations for a treatment that i can paint directly onto the bricks (gotta take that plaster off again - how annoying) and then re-plaster over - does such a thing exist out there???

cheers for you opinions

ady

Sponsored Links
You really got to find out where the damp is coming in and stop it otherwise you will have long term problems.Also treating the walls won't stop the damp if your DPC is broken.

"we've got an inside wall that's partly underground"

This is why I'm thinking you got damp because the soil/earth is bypassing the DPC.It the outside walls you should be treating,but then that would be wasting your time if the floor have not got membrane and up to DPC level etc...........

Sorry to be depressing but I don't want you to keep wasting your money.............

cheers for the reply masona

hmmmm i was hoping not to tackle the outside wall just yet as i just don't have the funds for such a manoeuvre - i was hoping to be able to paint the inside wall with some product that would temporary stop the damp from penetrating for a couple of years and then when the finances are upto it get the problem sorted correctly.

ahh well just have to live with flaky paint and crumbly plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back