damp question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i live in a terrace (1880). When we moved in (2 years ago) the surveyor said there was damp in the ground floor bathroom at the back of the house. We had a damp proof course done but there is damp starting to come back.

Their is a toilet in there and it seems to get a lot of condensation on the cistern. We also have a bath in there.

Does anyone think this is likely to be a condensation problem? If so, should I fit an extractor fan, dehumidifier, open the window all the time. Would getting a toilet without a cistern we worth the expense?

Any advise would be great.
Thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Sounds like condensation to me (like most damp problems...). Good ventilation is the best help! Especially in a bathroom. Fit an extractor fan, keep the window open when you're having a shower (and for a while afterwards), keep the door (assuming you aren't too shy! ;)) open when showering.

I can't see why people go on about damp problems here...you NEED to ventilate!!! Sealing your house completely is NOT a good idea! Personally I think PVC windows (and doors) are partially to blame, a wooden framed window will always 'breath' whilst plastic doesn't... :rolleyes:

Also a properly done bathroom should be able to cope with some amount of condesation.

Sorry for the ranting, but it's just common sense really... :) :eek:

Thanks for the advise. I will try and add an extractor fan and keep the winds open.

cheers

Agree with JayS, we had an almost identical setup (the damp cowboys said it was rising damp and the mortgage people wanted dpc injected and a load of other unnecessary work).

We always have a window open, I removed the bath and replaced it with a shower and extended the cubicle sides up to the ceiling so the steam goes straight out of the fan vent, and externally clad the walls with insulation. The damp we had was all condensation,

It isn't damp any more.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if the humidity fan might be worth investing ???, see this.

I don't know much about them.

masona, that's a clever little think! Worth looking at. :)

As has been suggested, chemical injection is not only a waste of time and money but it also has environmental effects and causes unsightly damage to brick surfaces. The electro-osmosis system is even more of an expensive, damaging rip-off.
I speak from long experience of damp and timber work: i was trained at High Wycombe College by the "experts" and on the job by a well known company.
There is no long term scientific evidence that any of the chemical damp "treatments" work.Your best bet is to knock off the plaster to 1m height and render up with sand and cement, skimming off with say, "Limelite" finish (or similar). For very exposed walls do the same all the way up the walls. At solid floors leave a gap of 25mm at the bottom of the wall.
Anyone who has had this appalling "treatment" of dpc injection, just check the inside brickwork for damp - odds are that its still there, the render keeps it back. Much of the chemical is not even injected, it's merely sprayed on the brickwork to provide evidence of fluid if theres ever a legal dispute. Check also the depth of the drilled holes in the sub-area, you'll find most of them hardly break the brick surface.

........Your best bet is to knock off the plaster to 1m height and render up with sand and cement, ........

That's what the bas tards did with mine. Ruined perfectly good lime plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back