Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front bedroom of my home has damp patches on the wall in the corner of the room which is an external wall. Also the ensuite in the back bedroom also has dark grey damp patches on the wall in the corner where the toilet is situated and also further up the wall near the ceiling. This is also the same external wall as the front bedroom.

I'm not sure who to call first to find out what is causing the damp. My first thoughts are is it leaves in the gutter that need cleaning out or is it that the bricks need repointing?

I do have pictures but not sure how to attached them

Sponsored Links
Are these rooms on the ground floor or above floor level?

First off, I would suggest getting outside next time it rains heavily to see if there's any leakage or overflow from your gutters.

If you have a ladder take a close look at the wall and see if there's any obvious entry points for water in the wall - whether it be bad pointing, a hole where a tv ariel or something has been drilled, etc could be the problem.

Make sure you give the whole wall a good check, as the water won't necessarily be ingressing exactly where the damp patches are.

As for loading images - I upload mine to photobucket.com (it's free). The website gives you an IMG code once you've uploaded a picture. Simple copy and paste that code into your posting and the image will appear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back