Damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From the pics is this a damp issue? The walls are not wet. I have done a visual outside and cannot see any breach in the tiles/roof. Thank you. Please, no sarcastic replies I am looking for genuine responses from those who know their stuff.

Attachments

• 20200725_192805.jpg
    20200725_192805.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200725_192752.jpg
    20200725_192752.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
I am looking for genuine responses from those who know their stuff.
I'm not sure how much stuff I know. I have lived in some poorly converted damp places if you count that?
It looks like damp, although, it could be signs of old damp.
Does the room smell damp?
How old is the house?
Whats on the other side of the walls?
Have you just stripped wallpaper and found that? If so, was the wallpaper showing signs of damp or mold?

I'm not sure how much stuff I know. I have lived in some poorly converted damp places if you count that?
It looks like damp, although, it could be signs of old damp.
Does the room smell damp?
How old is the house?
Whats on the other side of the walls?
Have you just stripped wallpaper and found that? If so, was the wallpaper showing signs of damp or mold?
Thanks for your reply. Just moved in and stripped walls, found this. Yes its an old property but does not smell of damp. The guttering was renewed couple of months ago by previous owners, not sure if thats a clue.Unable to get into loft yet as it is only 14 inches square! Having that opened up bigger soon so we can check in that corner. The property is a Bungalow which has been pebble dashed in the past. There are some cracks in that but I believe they are surface only.

It looks remarkably similar to something in my first house. 1950s, top bedroom, pebbledashed outside.
Stripped wallpaper and found damp stained cement render in the top and bottom corner of one room.

Pulled hair out worrying about damp, gutters, pebbledash / trapped moisture.

Turned out it was condensation- coolest corner of the room. When it was frosty outside, windows closed, heating on I reaslised it was damp from condensation forming.

As yours doesnt smell damp, and doesnt sound like the paper was showing mold / peeling, I'd say it's either historical damp damage (either condensation or gutter) although isnt a big problem.

Monitor it though.

Note: not an expert and could be wrong! Although every place I've lived with damp smelled damp. I've viewed flats and houses with damp, and, its unmistakable.

Sponsored Links
photos of the outside would be useful, especially the gutter area.

What's on the other side of the damp corner?

garash, good evening.

As jacko555 above, all the bases covered there.

if it is a ground floor, then the stain at the corner above the skirting is classic for rising damp.

My bet is condensation [historic]

Can you test the wall? any access to a damp meter? if not suggest place a bit of tissue / kitchen roll as flat as you can over the stain, tissue Etc will show if there is any dampness in the wall.

Even if you lay a flat board over the tissue against the wall the tissue will act as a tell tale for dampness?

Unlikely, but feasible?? rain water ingress on roof / leaky gutter [if gutter is close to the wall]. water gets into cavity and dripps down the cavity do saturate the area above the skirting?

Ken.

Just been outside to take these pics and can now see exactly what the problem is. All the guttering is new why would someone do this? I'm feeling silly now I realise the problem!20200725_205547.jpg 20200725_205442.jpg

Sorry they are not very good. It's getting dark. I will do them tomorrow. You can see there is a gap where one piece of guttering ends and the other begins !!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back