Dangerous Lead!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found this whilst helping my Granddad clear out his shed as he is moving soon; :?: :rolleyes: :eek:

Need I say more:

He did not even know he had such a lead in his shed :oops:

Purpose :?: ;Dangerous and illegal Back-feeding from generator, to some sort of home made contraption, torture device? Beats me what it is for!

And Yes, each end is wired like a normal plug with a 13 amp fuse in.

Sponsored Links
Not very old either, usually in "grandads " sheds you expect to find "unsleeved" pin plugs.
Obviously depending how old you are :)
Sometimes the date is on the flex

I vaquely recall back in the 80' time of power cuts there were gadgets you plugged into a 13 amp socket to backfeed your house, you were advised to turn off the Mainswitch at your fusebox first

At a quess has he an UNWIRED twin socket in the shed and that leads long enough to reach the house

Not very old either, usually in "grandads " sheds you expect to find "unsleeved" pin plugs.

That's rust your seeing on the bottom of the L & N pins on the right plug.

Shall I plug it in? :mrgreen: :evil:

So they are Unsleeved then, if so destroy them so they cannot be reused
is the flex red and black

Oh and brass or copper, which im quessing the pins are made of dont rust :)

Sponsored Links
Forgive me, I meant oxidized. They appear brass, but have been exposed to the elements or some sort of chemical.

I found about 20 110 volt versions of these where an electricians mate was making up leads with box of plugs to left and box of sockets to right and had in error put a box of plugs to right. He was really annoyed when error was found.

But walk around Turkey or any other place with regulator power cuts and these are common. The problem is live pins forgetting to turn off isolator will likely only rupture a fuse or trip an MCB and it would seem where done on a regular basis very few accidents.

But in our nanny state we expect things to be safe and have stopped looking out for our own safety. We seem to have the attitude it must be safe or they would not be allowed to sell it.

My mother would carefully inspect any new Teddy bear to ensure it's eyes were safe. Today the mother just buys it and passes it to the kid.

Clearly the lead is dangerous but back in the 80's there were far more people injured in the picket line than every injured by those leads. And most the injuries were inflicted by government employees. Do you think at that time anyone was worried about those leads?

Unsleeved plugs are perfectly OK, just not allowed to be sold anymore. It is extremely difficult, impossible even, to touch the pins after they are inserted in a socket enough to become live.
Nanny state again.

There are two reasons why unsleeved pins are not permitted.
People touching the pins with the plug half out of the socket is one of them.

Then there is the other reason.
1p.gif

Unsleeved plugs are perfectly OK, just not allowed to be sold anymore. It is extremely difficult, impossible even, to touch the pins after they are inserted in a socket enough to become live.
Nanny state again.

True that they can still be used - however they must not be removed and reused. Once removed they must be disposed of, so you are only half correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back