Dangers of whacking too early

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I completed my walls up to DPC level this weekend. I have a Whacker now too, and just need to rearrange my hardcore a bit before compacting. Is there any danger that I compact too close to the wall too soon, and damage the wall because the cement hasn't gone off?

I've not put a weak fill in yet, which will help matters.

Gary

Sponsored Links
I completed my walls up to DPC level this weekend. I have a Whacker now too, and just need to rearrange my hardcore a bit before compacting. Is there any danger that I compact too close to the wall too soon, and damage the wall because the cement hasn't gone off?

I've not put a weak fill in yet, which will help matters.

Gary

I worried about this when doing my extension, so I did the weak fill in the bottom of the cavity first. I have seen the whacking done with only a thermalite inner skin up to DPC, and there were wooden props pushing the walls in - it seemed a bit silly though. I'd put in the weak fill first.
Simon.

I have two courses of 7N blocks on the inner skin at the moment, so a bit beefier than thermalites, but still!

I'll put the weak fill in this week and then leave the compacting until Saturday I think. The blocks will have had a week to go off then.

Gary

Sponsored Links
You should always fill the cavities (up to 225mm below dpc) with lean mix prior to compacting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back