Dead Sony Laptop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Someone at work has asked me to look at there Sony VGN-N11M Laptop, its completely dead, no power lights nothing.
The power supply has a light on it and I have checked that it has 19v coming out of it, but the laptop does nothing,so I guess it will need a new system board, I could try taking out the RAM and Hard Drive to see if that is brining it down, but a bit unlikely,so I guess it will need a replacement system board.
I guess these are quite expensive?Any ideas cost and where I would get one, I looked on ebay and there is nothing there.

I have already given the guy a heads up that it is probably not going to worth repairing.
I have seen a similar problem on a IBM \ Leveno R40 \ R50, completely dead, but I had a good working spare one, so I swapped over the batteries, and it worked, the strange thing was that the battery from the faulty laptop worked in the good laptop, so I guess it might have been due to the fact that the battery from the faulty laptop was so low that it would not work in the faulty laptop, but was fine in a good one..bit strange though & I have seen exactly the same more than once with IBM \ Leveno.

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
I have seen a similar problem before, i fixed it by removing battery and power supply. then press and held the power button for 30 seconds.

Then put the powers supply and it worked. cant remember if i removed the internal watch battery as well.
Probably wont work but worth a try?

Couldn't get it to work, so took it apart and removed HDD, found some video's on youtube that helped with taking apart, it had a hidden screw under the keyboard!!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Over the weekend I replaced an acer laptop screen and invertor - used off of ebay.

Switched power on and absolutely nothing except a flash of the led in the power switch.

Put the old invertor back in and everything worked.

Be nice if someone could explain, also the connecting plug into the screen was different to the old one. Same design plug but one had about 14 used terminals and the other about 20m and totally different layout.

Back