Decent room width for extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a side extension and just trying to work out what would be deemed an acceptable room width in most peoples experience (especially you builders).

I have a decent amount to play with however the house is not parallel to the boundary so the available space is wider at the front than the back.

I would like a minimum 1m path down the side of the house. Does this sound enough? I based this on being able to walk down comfortably and get any large pieces of machinery down the side, e.g a mini digger is around 90cm wide.

This would enable me, at a push to get a building width (including exterior wall) of around 3.3m. So the path at its minimum would be 1m.

This would result in an internal width of around 3m.

How does that sound as the total width of a room which will be used as a bedroom/study?

As I said, this is just building a wall parallell to the house.

I guess the alternatives would be to build parallel to the boundary (not a fan of this) or having a step in about three quaters of the way back.

Any thoughs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
3m internal space is fine, especially as an office or second bedroom.

At various stages of the build you WILL question the space, especially as the trenches go in etc. This is normal and it is usually once the walls are up and the roof on that you really get a feel for the space.

A 1m wide path sounds ok. Bare in mind that a mini digger may need to turn as it exits each end. Are there any SVP's or gullies or down pipes or proud window sills or exterior lights etc, along the pathway?

Thanks for the reply noseall.

There may indeed be window cills and a side door at certain points down the side.

However, as it is not parallel to the boundary it will only be 1m at its smallest width. At its widest it will be maybe 1.4m.

What are you thoughts on extensions which are not built parallel to the main building but are parallel to the boundary?

Or is a step in a preferred method?

Sponsored Links
What are you thoughts on extensions which are not built parallel to the main building but are parallel to the boundary?
The building corners can be a faff especially if you decide to have specials made.

However, the biggest headache will be the roof. The diminishing side will have water run off issues as well as (possibly) verge tile cuts issues. Generally a pain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back